Our Invitation to our Members:
As you peruse FoMA's website, you will notice that the headers (banners) in some sections of our web site have distinctive, thematic images (FoMA Home, Athos Footpaths, Pilgrim's Guide), while other sections simply repeat the image on our home page (as you see at the top of this page). We are looking for distinctive, thematic images (of or related to Mt. Athos) for banner images for the following sections of the web site:
Events FoMA Appeals Books Membership Contact
- a title or identification of the content of the image
- some information about how you happened to take the image
- a note authorizing FoMA to publish the image on the FoMA website
- your full name together with titles or other info that we can include in the photo credits.
This is an unusual contest in one sense: each of the winning six photographs will be selected, in part, on the basis of our ability to generate from it a banner image that meets two very particular requirements -- an image that is
- in the peculiar format required for the web page headers -- 808 pixels wide by 300 pixels high
- symbolically or thematically representative of the content of one of the above sections.
I recall seeing, many years ago when they were beginning to run telephone lines on Mt. Athos, a wonderful photo of those tall poles with their slender wires running across the Athonite landscape. I have tried without success to find that image to use as a header image for our Contact section, where its content is symbolically appropriate to the content of that section. Of course, even if I were to find it, FoMA can't violate the copyright of the photographer by publishing images without permission, and sometimes it is no longer possible to identify and find the original photographer. So we are looking for images from our own members.